Wednesday, August 11, 2004

With age, so comes wisdom

With age, so comes wisdom

Knocking about on a discussion forum recently (Tagline: "It's a football forum, not a degree in being a ponce"), someone started a thread on films you once thought were great, but now that you are older and wiser, suddenly realise are shite.

This set me off trawling through not only my DVD and video collection, but also music, books and my unreliable memory for previous favourites now well past their sell-by date. Oh, what a litany of woe:

Music: Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair. I worshipped this album when it first appeared, but slapped it into my CD player recently only to find that the years have turned it into MOR wank. With saxophones. Strangely, The Hurting remains an electronica masterpiece.

Film: Party Party. Brit ensemble comedy featuring Billy Mitchell out of 'Enders and him out of the Flash liquid adverts, involving loads of drunken antics and traces of norks. Accidentally saw it a few weeks ago, about as funny as pulling your own teeth.

TV: Blakes Seven. Ridiculed at the time for wobbly sets, wobbly plots and wobblier acting, but teen sci-fi fans lapped it up. I must have been mental.

Books: Dr Who, Star Trek and X-Files novelizations. What was I thinking? I didn't even get them cheap from charity shops - I paid FULL PRICE.

Music: Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollockss. Controversial one this. A few sparkling tracks - Anarchy, God Save the Queen and Pretty Vacant, but the rest is just over-rated shouty bollocks played by vaguely talented session musicians. The same, unfortuntaly goes for Adam and the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier , the first LP I ever bought, recorded in the back of a transit van.

Music: Neil Diamond's Twelve Greatest Hits. Come to think of it, I quite like this. Perhaps it's my age.

Passing the buck - now it's your turn...

The Scaryduck Archive

No comments: