Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Word-oh!

Word-oh!

Confession. I stole this idea from Wrath of Dawn, who in turn was inspired by a similar post by Finslippy.

I ask, then: Which old fashioned, obsolete or just plain obscure words do you use in your vocabulary?

I must admit that I am a bit of a fan of the term 'Ahoy Hoy', which was Alexander Graham Bell's choice of greeting for use on his newly invented telephonic device.

Alas, it was lost to history as "Hello" took over, giving us into the bargain, that dreadful Lionel Ritchie song "Ahoy hoy, is it me you're looking for?"

Ahoy Hoy, I am pleased to say, has returned to semi-popular usage, mainly through Montgomery Burns' refusal to let it die, and through its use by comedy Millwall fan Danny Baker on his radio programme.

It is, I am sure you agree, the ideal non-offensive greeting that will mark you down as 'a little bit strange' in anybody's book.

In summary: Ahoy Hoy!

No comments: