It's the Rugby World Cup, so let's hear it for rugby! Dozens of university-educated men chasing an egg around a field. Unless you are talking League, then it is dozens of pigeon-fanciers chasing an egg around a field. But did you know?!
1. The sport takes its name from the original ball being made from a load of insects being wrapped up in a piece of old carpet. Hence: RUG BEERUGBY, everybody!
2. The New Zealand All Blacks are well known for their Haka war dance, and at last we can reveal the actual words they are singing:
Young man, there's no need to feel down.
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
There's no need to be unhappy...
3. Who's the world's best hooker? Simples! It's Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman
4. The word "Scrum" is short for "Scrumptious", where the players all get together for a big, manly hug
5. There are three kinds of rugger: Union, League and Bugger
6. All rugby players are required to learn the official rugby anthem: "I'm a stupid dicky-di-dildo", to be sung at all formal rugby occasions
7. The blacksmith from the infamous rugby song of the same name was a prop forward for London Irish. He quit the game in shame after his dreadful "split from arse-to-tit" secret became public knowledge
8. The Womens Rugby World Cup is sponsored by Gilette: The Best a Man Can Get
9. The world of rugby faces a crisis after the bird which lays rugby balls - Gilbert's Auk - was declared an endangered species by the United Nations
10. Rugby League has 13 players instead of the regulation 15 as two participants from each team are required to look after the whippets
11. Rugby Union is regarded as a religion in South Wales. Ironic, as Jesus and his 12 disciples followed the League code as the Judaea Fishermen