Monday, July 31, 2006

Music, Politicians, Poo

Music, Politicians, Poo

Jim Knight MPYou really know that you're getting old when somebody polls politicians on their favourite music, and you own virtually every title that they mention. So, it comes as an enormous, and somewhat unpleasant surprise to find that my MP, the Member of Parliament for Dorset South, Jim Knight, says his favourite long-player is Pulp's meisterwerk Different Class.

This presents some problems, because Different Class is also MY favourite album, and the thought of my elected representative singing along to such pervy classics as "Underwear" and "I Spy" whilst getting on with some earnest Blair toadying fills me with dread.

Then I realised with a certain amount of horror that Mr Knight is also the Schools Minister, and - I ask - what is the man nominally in charge of the education of my children doing in possession of the song "Sorted for E's and Wizz"? This being a little number once the subject of a Daily Mirror "Ban This Sick Stunt!" anti-drugs morality campaign. Frankly, I am disgusted*.

Still, it could be worse. Disgraced Lib Dem MP Mark Oaten went for the Human League's Dare, a choice that mirrors his political career superbly: Popular, successful, had the chance to be one of the greats, but it all turned to shit. Quite literally in poor, poor Mark's case. Oh-ho!

And I gather that Ann Widdecombe has the largest collection of late 1970s Oi! long-players outside of Garry Bushell's front room. A big fan of Bigfoot and the Groincrushers, so I hear**.

Unfortunately, the Prime Minister himself did not grace the survey with an answer. My money's on Michael Bolton. The terrible bastard.

* Lie
** May also be a lie

No comments: