Friday, June 20, 2003

”Dictionary Corner”

A new edition of the Oxford English Dictionary was released last week, obviously pushed out quickly to beat the Harry Potter rush. These new releases seem to be a monthly occurrence these days, and from some of the words in the new edition, it appears they have my evil twin working for them. Which is more than a mite disturbing, I thought I was the evil twin.

Nonetheless, it’s pleasing, nay gratifying, to see that a large percentage of my vocabulary is now Official Queen’s English. As a matter of fact, Her Majesty’s always consulting her gaydar these days (a gift from Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands), and slipping combinations of the following into everyday usage:

* bitch-slap
* buggeration
* gaydar
* queercore
* shedload
* shitload
* shouty
* skanky
* wazzock

All I want to know is how wazzock managed to stay out of the OED for so long? I’ve been using it since I was a kid, and I’m certain that was the original name for The Wurzels. And where the hell is “twunt”? The wazzocks.


“Scaryduck’s ‘Did You Know...?’ No. 1117”

The classic poem:

Here I sit
Broken hearted
Paid my penny
Only farted

...was penned by the world famous wit Oscar Wilde in 1896. The original has been preserved for the nation, and may be inspected, for a small charge, in the Gentlemen’s toilets at the British Museum.

The Scaryduck Archive

No comments: