Friday, July 29, 2011

The inherent sexism of store loyalty cards

The inherent sexism of store loyalty cards

So, there I was in a branch of a major chemist chain (which shall remain NAMELESS) and I became aware that the shop staff will only ask female customers if the possess a loyalty card.

I am a man. AM I NOT LOYAL?

This happened as I attempted to buy a tube of Anusol toothpaste:

Assistant: "That'll be £5.99 madam. Have you got a Boots Advantage Card?"

Customer: "Why, yes. Yes I have. It's in my purse somewhere..."
Five minutes later...

Customer: "Ah! Here it is, in my purse. Well, well."

And so it is my turn:

Assistant: "That'll be £1.99, sir"

Me: "Aren't you going to ask me if I have a Boots Advantage Card?"

Assistant: "Err.... Have you got a Boots Advantage card, sir?"

Me: "No, I have not, for my loyalty lies elsewhere."
That told her, exit stage left.

And don't get me started on the Superdrug Beauty Card. AM I NOT BEAUTIFUL?

No comments: