Thursday, July 01, 2010

On The Worst Book Ever

On The Worst Book Ever

I have just had the dubious pleasure of reading George MacDonald Fraser's historical novel The Reavers.

Now, I'm a huge fan of Fraser for his awesome Flashman books, and I was expecting more of the same – immaculately research history, bawdy romps, high adventure.

Nope.

Sorry to speak ill of the dead, but this stunk like the rotting corpse of Michael Barrymore's TV career – the sight of a bitter old man railing against New Labour, the modern world, thrashing around at random targets in a book set in the 1590s.

And the worst crime of all – attempting to be funny when he clearly isn't.

I've read Dan Brown, and I'd rather crawl on my hands and knees through a mile of rotting cat turds, reciting The Dan Vinci Code word-for-word than read The Reavers again.

So, I'm going to ask: What's the worst book you've ever read.

Hint: Say "Tales of Mirth and Woe" and you get a slap.

No comments: