Friday, June 01, 2012

On workplace meetings

I'm a pretty tolerant man, and I can put up with a lot. As a moderator on a well known community web forum, I take a lot of abuse from half-wits, but it's (mostly) water of a duck's back.

However, in the world of work this is different, and I make this vow:

I will not take part in any workplace meeting that is advertised as a "huddle", EVEN if actual huddling takes place

Furthermore:

I will not take part in any workplace meeting that is advertised as a "wash-up", ESPECIALLY if actual washing-up takes place

I hope I have made myself clear

See also: Standing meetings, any meeting held by somebody who has just returned from a management course called (for example) "Unlocking Potential"

The value of this refusal may go down as well as up, and will involve happily attending meetings called "huddles" and "wash-ups"

No comments: