Tuesday, September 08, 2009

On local newspaper photography, again

On local newspaper photography, again

Pic heinously stolen from Glum Councillors blogA man's got to have a hobby, and – apart from all the crapping through letterboxes business which is soon to be banned for Health and Safety reasons - mine just happens to be local newspaper photo spotting.

There's nothing I like better than stumbling across a photo in a local newspaper of angry-looking people pointing at holes in roads, piles of litter or the steaming turd on their doormat. In fact, I am thrilled to discover there are others like me as the excellent Glum Councillors blog proves.

The one thing that puzzles me, however, is the fact that everybody and their dog wants to be a press photographer, so only the best, most ridiculously qualified and frighteningly talented photographers are taken on by the local press at insultingly low salaries.

In return, they are sent out on soul-crushing missions to take pictures of fete openings, vicars and angry people pointing at holes in roads or the steaming turd on their doormat.

No wonder some rebel.

No wonder some try to get something under the radar.

I thought I had seen it all until I came across this one in the Reading Evening Post.

An oh-so-sensitive report on one women's torment and ongoing mental issues at living next to a convicted sex offender.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Evening Post's "Naked neighbour ‘put me off men’" illustrated with this outstanding example of the genre of local press photography:

Good Lord – Ronnie Barker's really let himself go.

No comments: